I missed you!!!
I’ve been in the process of moving my blog to a self hosted site, and I think (fingers crossed!) the process is complete!
Y’all, this week… oh my!
Hence the reason for my lack of posting since Tuesday. Anywho, the good news is I took the day off. I have a dermatologist appointment across town at 9:30 this morning, and I’ve never been to this office before, and I wasn’t sure I could make it back to school by 11:30 (to count as half a day), so I took the WHOLE day off! Woo Hoo!
I have lots of thoughts bouncing around all over the place and until I can organize them to share with you, I thought I’d do a little brain dump.
#1 There are 2 weeks of school left!! 😱 This year has flown by, which is definitely a blessing, because it has been the hardest year I’ve had yet. But, I still can’t help but love those little stinkers!
#2 My sister stayed with us last night because she had an interview this morning. As you may remember, she recently graduated with a degree in elementary education. Her interview was with my school system. I’d be over the moon if she could teach with me.
#3 I’ve come to realize lately how much I appreciate my “me” time. Being that we’ve been out of town for the last 4 weekends in a row (!!), I’m SO looking forward to being home this weekend, enjoying doing whatever it is I want to do, without any obligations!
#4 I need to clean my house. For real.
#5 I’m pretty sure I have an unhealthy relationship with sweet potatoes. Roasted, to be exact. I can’t seem to get enough! And ketchup. They must be dipped in ketchup. YUM!
#6 Did you know that the term “introvert” does not mean that a person doesn’t like to be around people? Rather, it refers to the way that a person “recharges.” An introvert recharges through alone time and solitary activities – sometimes even 20-30 minutes is all it takes. And for an extrovert, the opposite is true. An extrovert is recharged through social activities and being around others (which can be draining for an introvert).
I am most definitely an introvert. Refer to #3.
#7 Yesterday, Mm husband bought tickets to a Florida Georgia Line and Nelly concert. It’s going to be at the local minor league baseball stadium in June. Should be interesting!
#8 Lately, I feel like I cannot get into a “groove” with my workouts. I can’t ever decide what I want to do and then I end up doing a workout that leaves me feeling sub-par. Any suggestions??
#9 I want a dog. But the husband says no. 😥 His reasoning? He would feel guilty having the dog in the backyard where it isn’t able to run free when it wants to. (I don’t want an inside dog- no thank you!). I’ll let you look at our backyard and see what you think. I think it’s plenty big enough!
#10 Has anyone seen the movie “The Other Woman?” I think I want to see it, but I don’t want to waste my time and money. So…any review or suggestions?
Have a fabulous Friday, friends! (how’s that for some alliteration 😉)
1. What are you looking forward to this weekend?
2. What foods are you loving? ALL the fruits and veggies, in addition to my sweet potatoes
3. Are you an introvert or extrovert?
How much is too much? When is enough, enough?
This is a question with which I often find myself struggling.
Is my house clean enough, or could I do more? I mean, I haven’t scrubbed the baseboards in enough. Is my lesson on quotations good enough? Engaging enough? Will it really relay, in the best way, what I’m trying to teach? If I looked long enough, I could probably find a video, powerpoint, online game, etc. that would really be good for my students. What about being a good wife…have I taken care of all of my husbands needs in the best way possible? Have I been a good helpmate, listener, encourager? I’m sure I could do better.
And then there’s the health and fitness realm. Was my workout good enough? I could have done 1 more round of that circuit, run faster, jumped harder, lifted heavier. There’s also the question of food. Did I make the healthiest meal I could? Did I make sure there was a protein, carb, and veggie?
It’s very easy to get carried away. And, I often do, in one aspect or another – especially if I’m tired. Like, whoa, you’d better steer clear of an emotional, hormonal, tired version of me!
I recently came across this quote (via one of my favorite ladies):
It’s not necessarily talking about the question “when is enough, enough?”, but it really resonated with me. We are not called to do all, be all, go over and above in every. single. area. of our lives. Nope. We are merely called to follow Christ. All we have to do is say yes. I know at times it’s much easier said than done, but, it really can be that simple. Saying “yes” may not be the trendiest, easiest, or most popular thing to do, but, it really can be simple.
I hope this encourages you today, because it certainly provided me with some encouragement in this busy time of the year, as school comes to a close and my to-do list is a mile long!
This is one of my favorite weekly link-ups. Knowing that I want to share a way I’ve treated myself really encourages me to actually treat myself!
This week I treated myself to one of my favorite places to eat– TWICE!
Pita Pit!!! John and I loved it in college, and there isn’t one near us now. However, there are three locations in Pensacola, where we visited John’s sister and her husband this weekend. It was SO GOOD, I had it for dinner when we arrived in town and Friday night, and then again on Saturday night. Plans to go out to eat fell through since Kennedy, my 5 month old niece, decided not to cooperate very nicely. I must say, I wasn’t complaining!
1. Do you struggle with knowing when enough is enough?
2. If not, what’s something you’ve been struggling with recently? We call all use some encouragement!
3. How’ve you treated yourself this week?
Good Monday morning! How’s it going today?
I hope all you mothers out there had a very Happy Mother’s Day! I owe you a recap of this weekend, but since we got home later yesterday evening, I don’t have time to properly recap the weekend, so I’m just going to throw some photos at you. I actually didn’t take that many pictures, but…whatevs!
We spent Mother’s Day in Pensacola, Fl, where John’s sister and her husband live. His parents are spending the week there, so we joined them to celebrate!
Got these sweet gifts from a student on Friday for Teacher Appreciation week. We had a field trip Friday, and field trips definitely require a lot of chocolate because they can be a bit of a headache! 😉
Unfortunately, there had to be quite a bit of grading and lesson planning going on. Good thing I was trapped in the car for a few hours!
I was beyond excited about some quality beach time!
I cannot believe John got in the water. It was FREEZING! But, he was determined.
I absolutely hate this picture, as we are both looking extremely rough. BUT, I’m so in love with my cute little niece! I hated saying goodbye.
It was a fabulous weekend! I only wish real life didn’t exist and we could just stay forever! Ah…well, only 3 weeks left until summer!
Have a Marvelous Monday friends!
1. What did you do for Mother’s Day?
2. What else did you do this weekend?
3. When’s the last time you went to the beach?
I’m pretty sure my brain is seriously fried, and I can’t even think of anything to small talk about, sooooo instead of dragging you through some light hearted banter thrilling you with my wit and humor (sarcasm much??), we’re just gonna jump right in….
1. Being at work at 7am is for the birds. This is one of my weeks for supervising the kids who arrive early, before school. This duty makes me thankful for 2 things: every minute of sleep that I normally get PAST my wake up time this week of 5:15 am AND the fact that I only have this duty 5 times a year!
3. Happy early Mother’s Day to my mama! John and I will be celebrating the holiday with his family this year, so unfortunately I won’t get to see my mom on Mother’s Day.
4. Speaking of this weekend, we are headed to Pensacola, Florida, where John’s sister, her husband, and my niece live. His parents will be joining us there too. I’m excited to spend time with them. But, let’s be honest, I’m really, REALLY excited to get my hands on this little nugget!
5. Something else I’m excited about? The fact that their house is 15 minutes from the beach. This girl is in desperate need of some sun! I’m pretty sure I glow when I wear dresses and sleeveless tops.
6. Summer countdown: 15.5 days until summer…and counting… 🙂
7. A friend sent me this the other day, and I literally laughed out loud. So of course, I had to share.
8. You guys, look what I discovered at TJ Maxx recently! Essie polish for $4.99! I just never can quite convince myself to pay the almost $8 it costs everywhere else. Although, this discovery may not be a good thing. I suppose it cancels out the price if you buy multiple bottles. Oops.
On that note, I gotta jet. Thanks for letting me spill my brains, however random it may be!
1. What are your plans for Mother’s Day? Do you get gifts? Cards? We got cards for both of our mothers and a little something extra. Nothing too big, though.
2. What’s the funniest thing you’ve seen recently?
3. Share a random thought with me!
Happy Hump Day!
Whereas last week seemed to drag by, this week seems to be flying by. No complaints here! I know as the school year draws to a close, I’ll be begging for things to slow down so I’ll have time to get all my loose ends tied up, but for now, I’m happy for things to keep on speeding by!
Speaking of the school year ending and summer approaching, do y’all have those certain foods that just scream warm weather to you?
For me it’s always fresh fruits and veggies. But, there are also a few other foods and drinks that just radiate summertime to me.
2. Corn on the Cob – mmm!
3. anything on the grill
4. Strawberry Shortcake
6. Popsicles – yep, I’m still a kid
There’s actually a place in my hometown called Steel City Pops that sells all kinds of unique popsicle flavors. It reminds me of the cupcake or froyo craze, only in popsicle form. You should definitely check them out if you’re every in the Birmingham, Alabama area. They have a few locations throughout town.
8. Cold pasta salad
Speaking of pasta salad, I recently shared a picture with you of a new recipe I tried. I know, I know… it wasn’t very nice of me to tease you like that. Today is your lucky day though, a new summertime recipe is commin’ atcha!
Balsamic Chicken, Tomato, Basil, and Pasta Salad
How’s that for a long name?! Don’t be alarmed though, the name may be complicated, but I assure you, the recipe is simple and delicious!
– 1 bag Refrigerated Tyson Grilled and Ready Chicken Breast Strips
*** OR, if you’re not lazy like I am, 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast – cooked***
– 1 1/2 C. cherry tomatoes, diced
– 2 C. baby spinach, chopped
– 4 tbsp. basil, finely chopped
– 1/2 C. red bell pepper, diced
– 1 Tbsp. olive oil
– 1/2 C. balsamic vinaigrette
– 1-2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
– salt and pepper to taste
– 8 oz. dried pasta (I recommend rotini or farfalle)
1. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box, and drain.
2. While pasta cooks, chop tomatoes, spinach, and basil.
3. Dice bell pepper and sauté in the olive oil for 2-4 minutes, or until tender
4. Dice chicken breasts into strips.
5. Stir together pasta, prepared vegetables, and chicken.
6. Combine balsamic vinaigrette, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper to make a sauce/dressing to pour over pasta.
7. Stir dressing into pasta mix until dressing coats all pasta, vegetables, and chicken and all ingredients are well combined. Serve immediately, or chill an hour+ for flavors to really set in.
This was absolutely delicious and is most definitely one of my new “go-to” summertime recipes! I served mine alongside a pretty awesome salad topped with feta and crushed almonds.
Doesn’t get much more “summery” than a meal full of fresh fruits and veggies, served chilled on a warm Alabama night.
Let me know if you give the recipe a try. You’re gonna want to, I promise!
1. What foods scream summer or warm weather to you?
2. What’s a new recipe you’ve tried recently?
3. Best thing you ate last week? For me…DEFINITELY that pasta!
Good Morning, lovelies!
Is anyone recovering from a craaaazy Cinco de Mayo? I’m certainly not. The craziest we got was John stopping to pick himself up a Moe’s burrito and bringing home some free spicy guac – in celebration of Cinco de Mayo, obviously. 😉
Do any of you guys have those certain things you just can’t imagine living without? Those things that you use almost daily or weekly? Those things that you’ll make a special trip out for if you ever run out?
Today, I thought I’d share with you those things that I just can’t live without.
Ok, if we’re being honest, we all know I could live without these things, but I sure wouldn’t want to!
1. My Computer –
I actually DID have to live without it for a while. Thankfully though, I have a school issued laptop that I’m free to bring home and use as my own, so I was able to make do with that. But, I was oh-so-glad to get my beloved MacBook back in my arms hands.
2. Gum –
I recently shared my obsession with gum. It definitely isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. It’s one of those things that I must make an emergency stop for if my “stash” is running low.
3. Aussie Moist Conditioner –
This is my absolute favorite conditioner. Ever since I stumbled upon it back in college, I just can’t stray away from it. It makes my hair so soft and smooth. My hair can tend to get frizzy in the humidity that is Alabama summers. This conditioner does it’s best to calm it down.
4. Coffee – Does this really need an explanation?
5. My Thirty-One Lunchbox (lunchbag?)
Since I take my lunch to work everyday (school lunches – no thanks) a durable, yet cute, lunch box is a must. This is my 2nd Thirty-One lunch box. I used my first one for 2.5 years, until I eventually gave it a little too much love. 😉
I LOVE them! They’re cute, extremely durable, very roomy, and even have an outside pocket for things like silverware, salt and pepper packets, and other random things that I seem to constantly toss in!
6. Dove Powder Fresh Deoderant-
I think I’ve been using this brand since high school. I love it because it really gets the job done, but doesn’t have an intense scent. Rather, it smells fresh and clean. Confession: I used to get in trouble in middle school for forgetting to put on deodorant and we had to stop at a gas station more mornings than I’d care to admit. Thanks, mom, for helping me avoid humiliation.
7. My Reebok RealFlex tennis shoes –
I bought these last year and I’m prreeetty sure I’ve worn them every day since, or at least close to it. They are so comfortable, so light, and fit my narrow foot really well. I immediately put them on when I get home from work and pretty much any other time I don’t need to be dressed for an occasion, work, church, or a date night/girls night.
8. My knife block/knives –
We received this nice knife set as a wedding gift. At the time, I was skeptical I’d use it very much. My mom didn’t have one as I was growing up, so I wan’t accustomed to one. But, oh man…I think I use at least 1 knife from it daily! Or at least every other day…
I realize these knives look disgusting. I’m not sure why? Maybe the lighting? But I promise they’re clean!
9. Almay Clear Complexion Pressed Powder
I used to be a die hard Neutrogena fan. However, after frequenting my local drug store one day and my beloved Neutrogena powder was out, I stepped out on a limb and tried this Revlon brand, and I haven’t looked back. I love it because it takes the shine out of my face, and also works to clear up my naturally oily, blemish prone skin.
10. Fit and Fresh Containers
I love these tupperware sets! I have 2 of the rectangular containers (2 cups each) and 2 of the small oval (1 cup each) containers. I love them because the measurement lines make portion control easy and simple – no thinking involved – which is a definite plus when throwing together lunch or breakfast (for the following day) on a busy night when time is tight.
I think I could go on and on, but I don’t want to bore you. 🙂
I did manage to treat myself to a fabulous pedicure last Friday evening. Pedicures have always been one of my favorite treats, and I don’t see that changing anytime in the near future.
1. What beauty product can you NOT live without?
2. What kitchen/food item can you NOT live without?
3. How did you treat yourself this past week?