I don’t know about you, but there are certain grocery items that are a “must” around my household. For instance, if my husband is out of mayo, it ain’t a pretty sight around these parts, ya feel me?
In all seriousness though, he doesn’t put it on everything, but when he wants his mayo, he needs that mayo.
The same can be said of me when I’m out of oats, or greens, or some type fresh produce. So, in order to keep things happy around here, when I make my weekly grocery trip there are a handful of items that I make sure to purchase, or at least make sure we’ve got enough on hand to last us through the week.
I’m going to divide items into a few different categories: things I always have “just to be safe” (I don’t necessarily use these items every week, but always have them just in case I want to whip up a batch of cookies..or somethin’ ), items I typically always have in the pantry, in the fridge, and in the freezer.
Sooo…let’s hop to it!
“Just to be Safe” items I always make sure to have:
- sugar/brown sugar
- baking soda/powder
Eggs from my mom’s hens. How pretty is that blue egg?!
- bananas – because, honestly, who doesn’t eat a banana everyday (or every other day)?
- condiments: ketchup, mustard, mayo, ranch, etc.
- spices: ALL.THE.SPICES – y’all, our spice cabinet is out of control – so much so that they are now taking over a drawer too! But, what better way to add some variety to a meal than with a little seasonings?!
Items I typically always have in the PANTRY:
- peanut butter (although, sometimes I like to put it in the fridge)
- whole wheat bagels
- sweet potatoes
- dried pasta
- canned beans
- canned tomatoes – diced/sauce/paste
- olive oil
- almonds/ trail mix
- dark chocolate for me/ Reece’s Cups or some type of bite size goodies for John
In the REFRIGERATOR:
- milk/almond milk
- tomatoes/cherry tomatoes
- whatever other produce is in season or on sale – peppers, asparagus, broccoli, snap peas, etc.
- deli turkey
- hummus – because it goes on or with pretty much everything, ya know?
- Mtn. Dew for the husband (I have my coffee, he has his Dew)
- strawberries – or whatever is in season, love my fresh fruits!
- cheese – parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella
In the FREEZER:
- meat that was on sale – I try to keep some type of frozen meat in the freezer to pull out if we’re in a pinch for dinner.
- overripe bananas – what do you do with your overripe bananas? I usually toss ‘em in the freezer to use later on for smoothies or banana bread…mmm!
- bread that was on sale – if there’s a sale on bread, pitas, etc. I usually buy it up and toss it in the freezer until I need it.
- leftovers that will be great to grab and reheat on a night when we need something quick – I typically try to keep at least 1 “freezer meal” in the freezer for those inevitable nights when you really haven’t had half a second to put a thought toward dinner and you and your husband/family are staaaarrvvinng. We’ve all had those nights, right? Please tell me it isn’t just me!
- baked fries for an easy side item when I’m uncreative or in a hurry
I know that if I have most of these items in the house, I can usually whip up some type of a meal that will be pretty quick and relatively healthy. There’s nothing worse than having a busy day, eating crap for dinner, and going to bed feeling completely exhausted and icky! Plus, I want to keep my little family healthy – which of course, means a balance of greens, whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fats, and treats!
I think that about covers it, which means I probably left something out.
1. I’m interested to know…what do you usually always have in your pantry? fridge? freezer?
2. What do I need to add to my list of “staples?”
3. What’s your favorite, easiest dinner to whip up with ingredients you have at home and time is short?