I’m totally someone who needs a to-do list to make sure that I get everything done. If you ask me to do something, you’d better make sure I write it down, or it’s likely it will get forgotten.
For me, a to-do list serves a few different purposes:
1. I’m partly a kinesthetic learner. What that means is that I learn by doing. So, the act of writing constitutes as “doing.” I always say that the information goes through my hands and into my brain.
2. When I get into my day at work, it’s likely that I may forget to do something for another area of my life (marriage, home, church, etc.). So, writing things down helps me remember what I need to do for all areas of my life.
3. Writing a list helps me prioritize. When I see all I need to do written down in one place, I can easily see what is the most important that I get done that day/time, and what I can shift to another day/time. Usually time is shorter, rather than longer on any given day, so this one is a biggie for me!
4. Lists calm my anxieties. As a self-proclaimed perfectionist, I often times feel like I have to do everything, do it perfectly, and make sure it’s on time (or early!). So, writing things down helps me to:
- not fear that I’m going to forget something
- see that what I need to do for that day IS doable, and not as overwhelming as I build it up to be in my head (I’m really good at that…are you?).
- break things into manageable groups, again, helping calm my anxiousness.
*** I’ve had trouble sleeping for as long as I can remember. This is partly due to my racing thoughts of things I need to do the next day, forgot to do today, etc. My sweet husband put a pen and piece of paper next to our bed and sweetly suggested that when I’m awake and my mind is spinning, I write it down and forget about it. It definitely helps! ***
5. I get IMMENSE joy in checking things off my list. In fact, sometimes I make a list when I really don’t need to just so I can check everything off. Best feeling in the world!
I’m linking up with Becky again today over at Olives N Wine for Treat Yourself Tuesday. This is a fabulous link-up that encourages us to treat ourselves a little once in a while, because we definitely all deserve a treat now and then!
This weekend, I found these Reebok Running Tights on sale for $19.99. SCORE! I’ve worn them everyday since I bought them. They are comfortable, breathable, and purple. So that’s a plus. 😉
I also treated myself to a super sweaty work-out Monday afternoon. It was a good one, y’all.
I’ve been craving a sweaty workout for a while. Since I’m still trying to put on a few pounds, I usually refrain from super intense workouts. And while this one wasn’t over and above, it definitely got my heart pumping and sweat flowing. Just what I wanted!
And an arm workout that went like this:
– 20 bicep curls
– 20 tricep extensions
– 10 shoulder presses
– 10 lateral raises
***3 times through***
1. Are you a list-maker?
2. What are some other things you do that help you stay on track?
3. How did YOU treat yourself this week?!