We’ve made it to the half way point. I don’t know about you, but for me, it’s a big accomplishment this week. For some reason, the past 2 days have seemed to dddrrraaaggg on for me. I just hope the next few days speed up some!
Today I want to share a delicious, ridiculously easy, recipe with you. Not only is it easy and delicious, but it’s healthy too!
Quinoa with Black Beans, Corn, and Spinach
Slightly adapted from this recipe
Serving size: 2 cups
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 3/4 cup(s) (chopped) uncooked onion(s), chopped (about 1/2 of an onion)
- 3/4 cup(s) cooked frozen yellow corn
- 15 oz canned black beans
- 3 oz fresh or frozen and drained spinach
- 1 1/2 cup(s) fresh cherry tomato(es), quartered
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 6 Tbsp fresh lime juice, juice from 2-3 limes
- 3 oz feta cheese
- 1/3 cup(s) cilantro (optional)
- Boil 1 1/4 cups water to poil in medium saucepan on high heat.
- Stir in quinoa and 1/4 tsp. salt
- Reduce to low, cover and simmer until quinoa is cooked through but still firm to bite and water is evaporated (about 15 minutes)
- Remove from heat and let rest, covered for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat and add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly brown (about 6 minutes)
- Add corn and cook for 2 minutes. Add beans and cook until heated through(2 minutes)
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Transfer to large bowl, add quinoa, tomatoes, cumin, chili powered and lime juices to taste.
- Stir in feta and top with cilantro to taste. Season with salt and pepper
This is one of my go-to recipes for days when I’m short on time or energy. Or, let’s be honest, I’m just being lazy.
I love it because I typically have all the ingredients on hand, and the only prep consists of chopping an onion and quartering tomatoes.
If you try it, let me know what you think!
What is one of your easy, go to recipes?
What is a new recipe you’ve tried recently?